Sunday, July 11, 2010

So, I do this for fun...


Over the past year I've taken to building a whole range of guitar and bass effects. Some are clones of hard to find or out-of-production pedals, and a few are my own designs. I don't want to be grouped in with other "boutique" pedal builders because, really I do this for two reasons:

1.) Fun
2.) The quest for the ever elusive "tone" that's in my head.

I'm not in this as a business, but I have been selling a few of these designs, so I thought I'd say a little bit about these pedals as a sort of one stop shop for info about my builds. As a disclaimer, many of my designs come from JD Sleep's awesome work at www.generalguitargadgets.com, and the rest from my own trial and error.

The first pedal I built was a take on the ever classic Tube Screamer. This is a copy of the TS808 to be exact, but with a few mods. The first modification is the addition of a switch to select clipping stages. This offers the option of asymmetrical silicon diodes / bypass / LED clipping.
The second mod was to add a "bass" toggle to help the design retain low end. The design idea came from Allen Ginsberg's "Howl"

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment